Here are some of my more popular posts:
On leaving a great job
A bit of personal news, today is my last day at Adobe.
I've had such a fantastic run at Adobe. The people are just incredible. I got to work on so many cool products across the Creative Cloud. I worked on web apps, desktop apps, services, shared components, contributed to our design system and helped lead three amazing projects.26 Feb 2021
Setting up Gatsby Webmentions on your site
I spent a lot of Sunday... ok pretty much all of Sunday setting up Webmentions on my Gatsby site so when people Tweet about my blog posts they show up like comments!
There are already quite a few articles on how to do this but I still got pretty stuck along the way so I figured I'd write another one.14 Feb 2021
I had an awesome meeting with my mentee today and we covered a lot of great stuff!
- My awesome mentee: Can we go over async await tomorrow?
- Me: Absolutely!
- My awesome mentee: Actually, maybe asynchronous code in general?
- Me: Let's do it!
Improving my content diet
A few days before Christmas I found this amazing Twitter thread:
It's a list of 10 questions that did, in fact, spark interesting dinner conversation! We had a few family members over (our quarantine pod during COVID) and we went through the list together!
One of the questions that stood out to me was:23 Jan 2021
Best blog designs I want to steal everything from
As I was going through rebuilding my blog, I spent a lot of time looking at other people's sites trying to get inspiration. Below is a list of my absolute favorite blog designs and my favorite thing about them.01 May 2020
Choosing a blogging platform: Gatsby vs. Wordpress vs. 11ty
I have a little bit of a problem.23 Apr 2020
Working with people who are smarter than you
When I was just starting in tech, every job was brimming with people smarter than me! I couldn’t imagine anything better. I was young, new to programming and so eager to learn.
As the years went by, I did pretty well for myself. I was lucky enough to work at several great tech companies such as Twitter, Brave, and Adobe. Eventually, I was promoted to Senior Software Engineer and even put on a few teams as Tech Lead.27 Feb 2020
10 years is a long time
Losing weight, running a marathon, learning to code, saving money. These are important goals many of us share. They are also goals that, for the most part, cannot be achieved in a short amount of time.14 Feb 2020
Outages and blame culture
If you work with software, you experience bugs. If you work with cloud software, sometimes those bugs cause outages.
Every job I've had has some approach to "dealing" with outages. There's usually some form of an on-call person. Maybe there is an Operations team to help organize (paging the on-call, getting other teams involved, deducing root cause, writing up a report). This is great because if you don't document, it's easy to have rose-colored glasses and feel like things don't happen "that often."09 Dec 2019
The Life of a PHP Developer
People are really mean about PHP.
I read this great article the other day about How False Stereotypes Turn Into Technical “Truths”14 Feb 2016
Subscribe to my email list!
Let me be real with you. Sometimes when I'm bored I log in to Buttondown and look at the audience number. If it's bigger than it was the week before, well that makes me feel really happy! I promise I'll never spam you and I will, at most, send you a monthly update with what's happening on this site.
Here is my full archive!
- I minted (and sold) my first NFT
- Chrome DevTools Console Drawer
- Introduction to cryptocurrencies
- How to join Developer DAO
- Switching to DevRel from Engineering
- On Interviewing...
- The age of the devtool startup
- React Aria - A better approach to design systems
- Wasted real estate: Blog homepage design
- On leaving a great job
- Best online node js editor
- jquery vs node.js
- Stable Node Versions
- Get React Version
- How to update node js
- Increase Gatsby performance with Webpack Bundle Analyzer
- Setting up Gatsby Webmentions on your site
- Webmention playground
- All I wanted was pretty links
- Improving my content diet
- I made a political twitter account for a week
- Compiler Resources
- Best blog designs I want to steal everything from
- Choosing a blogging platform: Gatsby vs. Wordpress vs. 11ty
- Patreon layoffs seem cruel
- Avoid Rendering Empty Content with font-display: swap
- Working with people who are smarter than you
- 10 years is a long time
- Suspend a React Component from the DevTools
- A weird login flow
- My first month as a remote worker
- Outages and blame culture
- Managing Immutable State with Object Spread
- Compiled vs. Interpreted Languages
- Numbering a list with CSS!
- Eleventy has me feeling more connected with my website
- Writing a Babel plugin to convert arrow functions to function expressions
- Getting Started with ASTs
- Lighthouse Error: Content is not sized correctly for the viewport
- Add a Service Worker to Jekyll blog on GitHub Pages
- Staying Mostly Safe Online
- Sharing Styles with React and Aphrodite
- The Life of a PHP Developer
- ssh_exchange_identification: read: connection reset by peer